We couldn't let the snow ruin the entire weekend so we took advantage of the fact that South Bend, IN is between Toledo and Chicago. You are probably not aware of my interest in Notre Dame. I am proud to admit that this interest stems only from my love of the movie Rudy. Christopher went through a football craze and we watched Rudy and other fine football flicks on a daily basis (truth be told, I REALLY like these types of movies). We arrived in South Bend just in time for lunch. We drove by Notre Dame stadium and I took a picture from the car window since we had grumpy children in the back. We then drove around town, taking pictures from the window, trying to find a place to eat. We told the GPS that we wanted a barbecue place, but after three attempts which led us to abandoned restaurants, we ended up at Perkins. The kids were pretty upset that we drove past a number of McDonald's and Burger King restaurants and refused to stop. I told them that they had not been using very good manners lately and until they could show me their manners we would only eat at real restaurants. I really don't think they were amused but hopefully we will all benefit from my scheme.
My favorite part of the trip was Friday night when the GPS found us a great dinner spot. I decided that we need some Mexican food so I told the GPS to find us a restaurant. It was a success, first try. We ate at what appeared to be the locals favorite in a small Indiana town. I think this was my favorite part of the trip because it reminded me of my Dad, for several reasons. First, my Dad loves Mexican food. Second, he loves road trips and eating at local joints (he becomes a little anti-franchise when out on the open road). Lastly, he would have been proud of our adventurous dinner find. I guess, mostly I just love my Dad and wish that we could do these things together.
Well, I think it has taken long enough for me to write this post so I will just cut it off there. The weekend was an unplanned adventure and we will try for a house hunting trip later.
In closing, I have a question to pose. Who knows where the quote from the title of this blog came from?
(These pictures were all taken from my window, most of the time we were moving)


5 comments:
that sounds awful to me. I would be so mad if we did not make it to our destination. Good for you for making it worth you while. I love the movie Rudy too!
I do not know this quote... but I am so sorry Cleveland was hit with a snowstorm the very weekend you were driving there. That is some luck!! :) I'm glad you got to see Notre Dame though.
I'm glad your trip wasn't a total bust. I thought I saw you and Matt in passing on Saturday when I was driving home. Guess it wasn't you.
I know the quote but I don't want to spoil everyone else's chance to guess. If no one has figured it out by tomorrow I will let everyone know.
"And here's to the dogs of Toledo, Ohio, Ladies we bid you goodbye."
the first family i nannied for here is from Toledo and i believe that that quote is from a John Denver song...??? "you ask how I know of Toledo, Ohio...I spent a week there one day....
I am sorry you got stuck in that snowstorm and didn't get to look at houses!!! I love football movies too and Rudy is a good one!
Post a Comment