I have been told that I am very particular and I guess I would agree with the compliment/accusation. Today my friend came over to make donuts, I have a dazey donut factory, and before she left she put her things in the dishwasher. As she did so, she asked if I have a certain way that I put the dishes in, to which I replied yes, but who doesn't. I then explained that thanks to Uncle Lance, I group the silverware in their respective spots. All the knives go in one, forks in one small spoons, large spoons etc. This makes for quick emptying as you grab all the knives together and put them back in the drawer, no sorting through to slow you down. My Dad is not a fan of the method as he claims that the spoons will "spoon" together and not come out clean. I have never had this problem and attribute it to my quick rinse before inserting into the dishwasher.
A big THANKS! to Uncle Lance for this great time saver. I hope that someone else out there will find this tip useful. To those of you without dishwashers, I am sorry. However, there is a silver lining as you could practice the same method in your special drying rack.
Happy dish washing!
On another note, do you like dishes? How many sets of dishes does one family need? My Mom LOVES lots of dishes, different dish sets for different seasons. Unfortunate for her sons in law, her daughters have also developed a desire for a plethora of dishes. I personally own six sets and will certainly acquire more as soon as the space becomes available. How many sets do you have?
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
cute kids pics on the left!
We have one nice complete set of dishes, a few smaller sets of small-ish plates, a random set of bowls... all crammed into two tiny cupboards.
I have 2 sets but if it were up to my mom I'd have 10. She may have 30! I'll have to find out. I also have random sets that have been passed down from Isaac's family. There is one set I put my dibs on as soon as we got married and they are a set Janice got from her brother when he went to Japan. And she has some red glass stuff I love too. My mom has all kinds of funky ones.
I have an everyday set and a Christmas set. I recently gave away a third set simply because i bought it when it was just me and Cody and i didn't have enough setting for everyone. There is also the collection of Disney hot chocolate mugs, nad the Coca Cola glasses. But working at Pier 1, i'm Always wanting more! Must be a girl thing, Josh doesn't understand at all!
I have two crapy ones :) I'm not too into dinnerware. Maybe later on in life when I have more room. I don't load my dishwasher the same every time but it bugs me if towels or clothes aren't floded the right way. If Craig tries to help and he does it wrong I can't leave it. I have to go back and refold everything.
I like how you labeled your original post under "dishes." I look forward to returning some day and reading the dozens of dish-related posts.
I had been loading silverware the same way as Uncle Lance for years. But then your dad brought up the "spooning" point, and as usual I believed him and stopped doing it. But if I have the reassurance from Uncle Lance and Aunt Rachael, then I might just return to keeping the silverware in their respective compartments.
As for the number of sets of dishes, hmmm...Jessica will need to comment on all of the different ones we have, but I will say that my favorite is her cow set.
Cows
China
Christmas China
Red
Everyday
Snowman
Yellow
Picnic Plaid
I really want the Lennox butterfly tea set.
If I had a china cabinet and room for more I would for sure have more. I always look at the dishes when I go to Macy's and Dillard's.
I almost forgot, I have two sets of ice cream bowls as well
Jessica
Yes, everyone does have a way of loading the dishes.. I also load the silverware the same way - it just made sense -easy to put away!
We too have several sets of dishes and dessert plates and I want more! We have a set from Japan that was a wedding present, I have my every day dishes in black and white, christmas dishes and then the dessert plates mentioned before...
I am so happy to find out that I am not extravagant in my dish fettish, and that it is normal to have more dishes than you can realistically use. I am also glad that if my girls have inherited any of my quirky ways that it is the want of dishes. When it comes to the washing of dishes, the best advise I can give you is to find yourself a couple of "sons in law" that will see to it that the dishes are done properly, even if it means washing the good china by hand when the occasion has come for using it. Thank you girls for finding such good guys! Remember, use those special dishes as often as possible. After all who is more special to set the table for than your family.
ok, I found your blog and I love the whole comments on the dishwasher. That is why I NEVER offer to load someones's dishwasher. They probabaly think I'm being rude, but I'm actually being helpful. As for dishes. I like all things to be uniform ans so I am DYING to get rid of my dishes (they are all the same Nautica Island Shores) to trade them in for a plain white set of dishes that I can dress up with fun holiday stuff. Mine are very islandy and fun, but hard to dress up for Christmas and I'm not up for storing more than one set of dishes. I'm afraid I would forget about them.
Post a Comment