Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stuck in a Rut

It was three o'clock in the afternoon and time to pick up Christopher from school. I woke the other children from their naps, bundled them up and trekked through the falling snow to secure everyone in car seats. I proceeded to back the car into the alley. So far so good, that is until I tried to move forward and make my way down the alley. You see, it was snowing, again, and there were a couple of inches that had already accumulated on our severely rutted alley(the ruts are at least 6 inches deep). This is where the trouble began. I was going no where! It was solid ice under the snow thus preventing me from driving Matt's beloved Odyssey up and over into the rut. I describe my driving down the alley by comparing it to the adventurous ride at Lagoon where you secure yourself into a low speed automobile and proceed around the track with no worry about steering because even if you wanted to drive off course the metal guide under the car would not allow such recklessness. I really feel like that, especially when it is time to turn into my driveway. I crank the wheel with all my might and proceed forward down the alley until the car concedes to the fact that I really am the boss.
So back to my story. It was now 3:32 and Christopher has been out of school for 12 minutes. He told me one day that it was ok if I was a little late picking him up. He said that I could be five minutes or even ten minutes late but if I was 12 minutes late he would start to get nervous. Since I knew that the nervousness was beginning to set in I started calling my dear friends. Fortunately, Sarah was available and came to our rescue (thank you Eli for being awake). I quickly called the school and had them track down Christopher and explain our dilemna and inform him of his new ride. The principal got on the phone and assured me that he had calmed my son down and that they would care for him until he was retrieved.
I am glad to report that Christopher arrived home safely and does not appear to be any worse for wear. The car has been moved out of the alley, thanks to my strong neighbors, and I don't plan to drive anywhere until the snow melts, or I go crazy indoors. As my neighbor came running to my rescue he made me promise never to drive in another persons rut, always make your own new rut.
So, the moral of this blog is choose your ruts wisely, you'll be in them a long time.

3 comments:

Sarah S said...

That is a rough day!! I'm glad Eli was up too :) It was easy to bundle him up really quick and run over there since the school is so close.

Christopher definitely still had tears when I got there, but seemed fine once we were in the car. He said the day started and ended badly, but school was fun at least. :)

I hope you ate some cinnamon jelly hearts to cheer yourself up!

Beckie said...

I so dislike alley ruts!!! I am glad that your car is at least back in your driveway and that Sarah and Eli were able to rescue Christopher! PHEW!! Yes, go and eat some of your cinnamon jelly hearts!

Rachael said...

I did indeed enjoy some cinnamon hearts. Now to top off the evening, Matt has gone to play XBox. Oh how I hate it!