Friday, February 1, 2008

Shoveling Out


It has been snowing for 24 hours and it is beautiful outside. I have only manged this one picture of Matt shoveling the walks before school this morning, but hope to get outside to shoot some more while the snow is still fresh and pretty.
I drove Christopher to school and got stuck in our alley. Matt had to do a little bit of digging to get the car moving. Our neighbor was also stuck so I took their son Peter to school with us. I stayed at school to help in the classroom as the children made winter treats for the animals at a nearby nature center. They "frosted" ice cream cones with crisco and filled them with dried fruit, pumpkin seeds and then rolled them in bird seed. Looked like a tasty treat, if you're a bird.
Because I am such a nice wife, I offered to drive Matt to school when I got home. Once again I got stuck pulling out into the alley. I think it would be much easier to walk. I would love to go walking in the snow, and my awesome stroller would probably do just fine but I am not too keen on the idea of pushing 70 pounds of stroller, kids and gear around so we will just stay in. I am actually being quite productive today and trying to clean things up a bit.
I keep thinking of food that I can make and freeze. I have a freezer full of soup, meat and desserts. You see, it is just as easy to make things in bulk as it is to make smaller portions and this way I can have ready to eat meals in a cinch. As for the treats, a large number of my regular consumers are trying a more "healthy lifestyle", at least for the time being, and so to minimize the temptation, I freeze my treats to allow for a more controlled consumption and less temptation. You know, out of sight out of mind.
So here's to the joys of winter and to the beautiful snow. I wish I were skiing or snowshoeing or sledding, oh the list of possibilities.

1 comment:

Sarah S said...

boo for healthy living... :) but it's fun that you have frozen treats on hand for any moment!