We were out playing in the yard and Christopher asked if he could ride his bike to his friends house. I asked how he would get there and he said, "on my bike." I asked again, being more specific about what route he planned to take. He told me and explained that the friends Mom would answer the day and he would then ask if the friend could play.Quite reluctantly, I sent him on his way, with my cell phone of course and strict instructions to call when he arrived. I then called the mother to let her know that he was on his way.
Ten minutes later he rode back in the yard and explained that he had gotten a little lost. I put the other kids in the car and we followed Christopher on his bike. We got to the point where he had been confused and his friend was there waiting for him so we turned around and came home.
An hour later, he called to tell me he was leaving and ten minutes later he arrived home safe and very proud of his independence. He made sure we called the other mother to let her know that he had made it home.
As hard as it is to let my children test new waters and take solo rides, it is sure neat to see them succeed.


4 comments:
Way to go, Christopher!
Why do they have to grow up so quickly?
Impressive! (to you and Christopher) I still need to email you pictures - I'll try to remember to do it this weekend sometime.
Yeah for Christopher!
Way to go! I knew Christopher could do it. The question was could you. It is fun to watch them become independent but hard to turn them loose.
Post a Comment